Thursday, November 03, 2005

Things Take Shape

Better tonight; more focused, fewer distractions. And Gino has arranged an alternative rehearsal space for us, so I'm hoping it will stay that way.

Tonight we worked on status in dialogues, figuring ways to reflect conflicts over status through blocking as well as voice. Some scenes worked very well. Everyone seemed to click immediately into the notion of physical status, which is fantastic, since I think it's really the glue which holds Lear's world together.

We also looked at "objective" lines. I had everyone choose a line that illustrated something important about their character, then had them scan them, walk them, and "shape" them. Again, some lines yielded interesting shapes which we could then incorporate into the characters' movements, gestures, and physical demeanours. I'm impressed by how quickly the cast has zeroed in on the crucial concepts and moments in the play.

Tonight was the last "workshop" rehearsal. On Sunday, we start in on scene work. In past processes, I would have made sure the whole play got read at least one more time before diving in; but in this case, I don't think it's a good use of our time. For one thing, we'll never have everyone in the same room at once; and for another, the play will remain huge no matter how many times we read it. We're better off scrutinizing individual moments, and letting the big picture take shape on its own.

(And, for Marsha, here's my Pun of the Day: "When an actor's arches fall, their arc tends to fall as well.")

1 Comments:

Blogger M said...

I knew it would be here, waiting for me.

:)

11:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home