Sunday, October 30, 2005

First Rehearsal: Read-Through and Discussion

And so it begins. Our first rehearsal was this afternoon, from 1-5pm. Because of Daylight Savings, one or two people arrived an hour early (not late, at least). Many cast members couldn't be there at all; I think we had 10 or 11 out of 19, plus myself and Dave B. (text coach).

We started with introductions, and we talked a bit about the schedule, which continues to evolve. I really, really hope it will have stabilized by the end of this week, because I don't like to have anyone uncertain about when they will be needed; it can lead to bad feelings and a lot of time wasted. I talked very generally about the concept of the show, and I realize now that I was probably a bit too cagey; but I didn't want to steal any of the designers' thunder (pun intended). Besides, it's the sort of present you like to have revealed a bit at a time, instead of tearing all the wrapping off at once. Right?

The read-through was smooth, clear, and unbelievably fast; the first half ran 61 minutes, and the second half only 33! They'll both be longer, of course, once we add fights and transitions, but I don't think I have anything to worry about as far as running time goes.

After the read, I asked the actors to think of two or three words which summarize what the play is all about. Here are the responses (in no particular order):

Loyalty (x3), Betrayal (x3), Fidelity, Aging, Regret, Revelation, Heroism, Social Status, Sanity, Vision, Trust, Friendship, Greed (x2), Love, Family, Truth, Discovery, Ingratitude, Forgiveness, Nothing, Price of Folly, Deeds Over Words, Responsibilities Unmet, Lust for Power, Stupidity of the Wise vs. Wisdom of Fools, Sight of the Blind vs. Blindness of the Sighted, False Pride, Ruthless Ambition, True Love, Blind Love, Learning to See, Crime Doesn't Pay, What Goes Around Comes Around


I was the one who suggested "nothing," by the way.

Then we watched Balance and I talked about staging and movement. And that was that.

Cast list coming soon, I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home