Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Status vs. Power

Tonight's rehearsal felt a bit hectic. We continued the verse work and walked the lines, then talked about status and power in the play. I tried to tie issues of status into the rhythm and movement work we'd been doing, but I don't think I was very coherent. One thing that did seem to work quite well was an improvised stab at blocking Act 1, Scene 3--the power struggle between Goneril and Lear. It now looks as if my crazy walkin'-blockin' scheme might work after all.

Melissa and Mark came by and talked about costumes and music, respectively. Melissa also got measurements for most of the actors. Dave was onhand to help with blocking; Liz was around for a bit. The cast is shifting slightly--as I suspected, there has been a bit of attrition--but I'm confident that things will stabilize shortly.

Actually, the biggest frustration is the power struggle we seem to be having with our rehearsal space, as we were plagued with delays, interruptions, distractions, and one very shrill broad who didn't like the way Anna-Maria had parked her car. I'm talking to Gino about possibly obtaining a different rehearsal venue, until we get to move into the Walterdale in January.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home