Saturday, October 22, 2005

Potential Poster Art

Searching the web more or less at random, I came across the homepage of a British artist named Nicola L. Robertson (http://www.thesurrealdemon.co.uk/). She's got a nifty goth style going, something like a cross between M.C. Escher and Edward Gorey. I was especially drawn to her chess-based illustrations--not the ones that feature chess pieces devouring one another (although those are cool) so much as the atmospheric ones like "Chess Cavern" here.

I think the themes of strategy and power conveyed by the chessboard fit nicely into Lear--and the cavern, with its vortex-like design, speaks for itself. I showed the image to our poster designer, and he agreed that we could certainly find a way to use it (I still have to negotiate with the artist and my board, however). I also forwarded the link to John H. (set designer), and his response was "Eureka!"

I'm not sure what that means just yet, but I'll take it as a good sign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home