Thursday, October 20, 2005

Countdown to Auditions

Three days before auditions. I'm starting to get antsy. The audition process is actually pretty exciting for me--not nearly as nerve-wracking as it is for the actors. I enjoy meeting people for the first time, and thinking about how I might be able to "use" them in the show. But right now, I want to make sure I've got everything prepared, so I don't waste anyone's time.

That means putting together an audition sheet, for them to put down biographical info and details about their availability; it means finding suitable "sides" for them to read (monologues and dialogues from the play); and it means thinking, once again, about who and what I'm really looking for.

I know that, in this case, a lot of the auditioners will be inexperienced with Shakespeare. The sides won't give me a very clear picture of their potential, because they will be reading unfamiliar material filled with daunting words and punctuation. And making them read anything other than Shakespeare won't help much either; it's apples and oranges at that point.

Really, the main things are going to be looks and personality. When they walk into the theatre, do they immediately strike me as resembling one of the characters? And--more importantly--are they gregarious? Do they seem like they'd be fun to work with? Because if they can overcome their audition jitters enough to make that sort of impression...they've either got a whole lot of verve, or they're a damn good actor...and either way, I want them on my team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home