Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?

I think I've cursed myself. After last Sunday's rehearsal, I resolved to make sure I was using my actors' time productively; I didn't want people to feel like they were giving up their evenings or weekends just to stand around and hold an imaginary spear. I went back to the schedule and took a good hard, look at when characters were actually needed; then I asked Helen to call the ones who weren't and let them off the hook.

The problem was, I wasn't thinking very clearly (I was doing this at the same time as I was trying to watch the fights being blocked). When the smoke cleared (ie. this morning), I realized that, between actors' prior conflicts and my recent bout of phone calls, I now had a grand total of one (1) knight for the scene where Lear's knights are supposed to flood the stage. Irony abounds.
"What need you five and twenty? Ten? Or five...?"
"What need one?"
My anxiety dream about disappearing actors seems to be coming true, albeit through my own sloppy scheduling. Something must be done, and probably the first step is for me to just calm the heck down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home