Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Previews #1 and #2

Our two live previews have come and gone. Both went well, I think; I was quite excited by the energy generated by the cast's first encounter with an audience. Monday's crowd was small but supportive (mostly friends and relatives), and Tuesday's was a bit bigger (invitees from Walterdale's "Art in the Lobby" series). It's a nice way to start the run, I think: sort of easing our way up to what will, I think, be a very packed house on opening night.

I know that some of the cast are struggling to maintain their energy through each performance. It is a very demanding play, and Dale in particular is not interested in delivering anything short of a tour de force every night. At this point, it's very important that they remember two things: a) they're not alone out there; they have each other, and when one person's energy (or lines, or cues) might flag, the others will be there to support them; and b) the audience is on their side. They want them to succeed.

It's hard to read an audience during a play like this (are they stunned and awed into silence? Or are they bored to tears?), but based on my surreptitious observations, I think they are following the story, and are invested in the action. So they, too, should be seen as a safety net, not a hazard.

Tomorrow's the big night. Break a leg, everyone!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can I break a leg when my eyes are much more important?

1:34 p.m.  
Blogger SC said...

Well, I loved the preview. Or did you not notice when I clutched your hand during the storm scene?

I even stole a feather as a momento. :)

10:14 p.m.  
Blogger Melanie said...

After following this production from table read to opening night here, I sure wish I could actually see it go up - it sounds like it is going to be fantastic! Congratulations. :)

11:21 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home