Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Work Proceeds Apace

I feel as though I haven't posted for a dog's age, although it's barely been a week. Too much on the go. Walterdale's season has now begun (our first show opens in less than a month!) and any spare time I've had to think about theatre has been devoted to more pressing matters than Lear.

But I'm still thinking. And searching. Specifically, I'm still searching for a stage manager, darn it. When I was with my last theatre company, Sound & Fury, I had a fantastic, reliable stage manager with whom I worked every chance I got. But then I left the company in his hands, not considering that it would leave me one SM short.

But I had an interesting conversation last night with a would-be SM. She couldn't do it--too many other commitments--but she was very enthusiastic, and commented that it would be a fantastic way for her to learn about the play. Turns out she'd never read it or seen a production. That's probably not as unusual as I think; it's not nearly as well-known as Hamlet or R+J, and it's rarely done in Edmonton (I can think of only two productions in the last 20 years).

I find it strangely comforting to think that there are thousands of people who don't know the first thing about King Lear--and dozens (hundreds?) who will discover it for the first time though my production.

Yeah, comforting...and intimidating. Don't screw up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home