Saturday, June 18, 2005

Thematic Flip-Flops

It’s been nearly ten days since I’ve had any Lear thoughts, which is odd. It’s partly because I’m getting geared up for the first few shows of the Walterdale season (The Rez Sisters is first, and it’s going to be spectacular!). I’ve also been catching up on some of my own writing projects, which forces Shakespeare into the backseat of my brain for a bit (sorry about that, Will).

I also confess I’m still finding it hard to wrap my mind around the play. I’ve pretty much decided to have my production focus on the family theme, or possibly the conflict between family and politics (ie. kingship, land, war, power). I can see several brilliant moments when that conflict comes into focus in the play—moments when the characters onstage seem to be inhabiting two different worlds. In one moment, Goneril feels like a daughter while Lear tries to lord like a king. Then, lines later, everything flips, and Goneril is the one in power, and Lear is a wounded father. The trouble is, I’m not sure how to clarify those moments on the stage. Actors tend to cohabitate within the same “world”, ie. the stage.

Well, more mulling is clearly in order. My earlier attempt to deal with each character in turn seemed to be working well, though, so in the meantime, I’ll go back to that. Starting with...hmm...how about the Bastard?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home